Sunday 10 April 2011

Prince Caspian

Prince Caspian. Film Tie-In: The Return to Narnia
I am a little late for this review, just been really busy and I also battled to get hold of this book and actually ended up buying it. I know that I have a copy somewhere, but never managed to find it.
One thing I find a little bit annoying in C.S. Lewis books is that very often the main character actually has a supporting role if that makes sense. All the action sort of happens around them. In The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe the children were there, but didnt really cause anything to happen. Once again in this book, Prince Caspian although he appears to be the main character doesn't really do anything. He just waits for everyone else to sort his problems out. Also, in this story a lot of the action is told third hand rather than us seeing it happen. That said, I did enjoy the book, lol, although it may sound like I didnt. I like the way C.S Lewis writes as if he is telling you the story and the little side comments he puts in for the reader. I also think the books are fun, simple reads for children and adults.
Favourite parts
  • the parts where they are wondering around Cair Paravel, but dont realise what it is
  • rescuing the dwarf
  • the parts where Lucy sees Aslan and the others dont
  • the romp and feast with all the woodland creatures
  • I loved the mouse Reepicheep
  • the part where Aslan walks through Narnia picking people out to join him
  • I also felt there was quit a lot of growth in the children, particularly Lucy
Favourite quote:
"That's the worst of girls," said Edmund to Peter and the Dwarf. "They never carry a map in their heads.""That's because our heads have something inside them," said Lucy

No comments: