Friday 28 January 2011

Other secrets by Farida Karodia

This is another book that had been on my bookshelf for a while and I never got around to read it. Once I started I could not put it down.
The book is set in the Eastern Cape of South Africa from around 1960 onwards. It tells the story of an Indian family in a predominantly white town. It is told from the perspective of the youngest daughter, but does touch on all the other family members, as well as various other people they come into contact with. (I could not find an online revue although it is available on Amazon)
What I liked about it: Having family in the area I could really imagine the life and the kind of people in her story, so I could relate to it. The book covers a bit of everything, childhood,  family, friends, trauma, happiness, friendship, loss and love. It is extremely sad in some parts and yet there is a lot of happiness as well. It really explores the relationships between Meena and her mother, grandmother and sister, and the undercurrents running through those relationships, which I guess most women can probably relate to. There are a few, quirky characters, Daniel, the half-mad illegal immigrant being the most noticeable one. Also, apart from the boy who rapes her sister, even the bad characters have some good points to them.
What I didn't like: I found it a bit slow.
Would I read it again: Probably but not for a while.
Would I read another book by the same author: Yes

No comments: