Monday 3 January 2011

The Double Crown by Marie Heece

I got this book from my book club a couple of months ago and havent got around to starting it. Since I have to take it back at the end of January and since I have never read this author before I decided it would be perfect for my first book for the New Author Challenge. I have always loved history and especially the Ancient Egyptians and anythign from around that time period which is the reason I chose the book in the first book.
The book centres on Hatshepsut, the female pharoah who ruled Egypt around 1500BC. It takes her from her early childhood right through her young adulthood, marriage, death of her husband and then her time as pharoah and leads right up to her final betrayal and her death. To be honest I am still trying to decide whether I enjoyed it or not, maybe on a scale of 1 to 5 would give it a 3. There were periods and things that I really loved but there were parts that seemed to drag a bit.
What I loved: All the descriptions of Egypt and the customs and rituals that she went through. It is written as if it is the Pharoahs own diary and I felt like I got into her mind if that makes sense. I enjoyed the stories of her childhood and her relationships with those that she loved.
What put me off: I felt like we didnt really get to know anybody else but the Pharoah, there was not much insight into the other characters and why they acted the way they did. (THis is partly due to the way the book is written in the diary style) Also I felt like the book kept going backwards and forwards and I was not always sure what time period we were in. I would have liked there to have been a bit more of a plot, it just seemed to be a series of events although it was obvious that it was leading up to something. The ending was also a bit odd,and left you wondering but I think it was probably the best ending in the circumstances.
Would I read it again: Probably not
Would I read other books by this author: Yes

No comments: