Thursday 9 June 2011

The silver chair

The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
Sorry I am a  bit behind with this series now, I have been writing exams and then sick and not got a chance to do any reviews. I still have to read the last one, but hope to get it from the library as soon as I get a chance to go back.
This books starts off with Eustace and his friend Jill being snatched from their school in England and back to Narnia. Jill meets Aslan and gets given some signs to watch out for in her quest to find King Caspian's long lost son. She is then sent off to find Eustace and get on with the quest which involves searching through the wastelands, into the giants land and then into the underlands, where we meet the witch, and then of course they find the prince and save the day!
I have to say that I loved this book, I found it to be so much more detailed than the others. It is definitely my favourite so far. There is much more of a plot, the children are so much more central to the story and there are many exciting adventures. The only things I didn't like was that there were times where the characters were really blind!
Favourite bits:
  • I loved the description of why the school was not suitable
  • The ride through the air
  • The marshlands (more on this later)
  • the Hall of Harfour scenes
  • the underland scenes
I just have to talk about Puddleglum the Marshwiggle, I think he is my favourite character in the book so far. He reminds me of Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh, always looking on the dark side of life, whilst seeming almost cheerful about it. I love how he says that they wont like other marshwiggles because they are glum, lol. He really makes the books.
A couple of scenes which I found funny reading them in todays world, when words mean slightly different things:
1. "Gay," said Puddleglum with a deep sigh. "That's what we've got to be. Gay." ... "All right. Gay's the word," said Scrubb. "Now, if we could only get someone to open this door. While we're fooling about and being gay, we've got to find out all we can about this castle."


and.......
2. She made love to everyone - the grooms, the porters, the housemaids, the ladies-in-waiting, and the elderly giant lords whose hunting days were long past them. She submitted to being kissed and pawed about...

Quite funny in todays English, lol.

No comments: