Sunday 19 June 2011

FINISH LINE: SiS Readathon Report # 2

Ok, I failed hopelessly last night at staying up all night. I wrote my last update at 8pm my time (12:00pm MT) , but only started reading again at about 9pm. I read until 12, from then I battled to stay awake until about 1:30am. Then I decided to have a half hour nap, when I woke up I still couldnt stay awake, lol. I did set my alarm, but it didnt help. So, here we are at the end. I hope it is okay that this is a little late, since I have only just got up now.
1.First of all, give us an end-of-read-a-thon status update. Books read, pages read, you know the drill!
Total Books read: 4 and a half
Total pages read: 1308
Books read since last update: 1
Pages read since last update: 255
Total time read: 21 hours. (Was probably a bit more, but since I kept falling asleep I havent counted it)
How am I feeling now. Well after about 6 hours sleep not too bad! Just wondering why I am able to stay up much later to read books than to study.

Books finished since the start of the readathon:
  • Absolution by Caro Ramsay
  • The two towers by J.R.R Tolkien
  • The secret Island by Enid Blyton
  • Beach Road by James Patterson
  •  King Solomon's mines by H.Rider Haggard.


2.What is your favorite book you read during the read-a-thon?
The two towers but I enjoyed all the books that I read

3.Did you participate in any mini-challenges? Which ones?
I have to say I didn't do very well in this department. Partly due to the difference in time zone. By the time the challenges got up and running I wasn't in the mood to be sitting at the computer. But, a lot of it was also that I was just so busy reading that I didn't get onto the computer much. I only did the Book Character Pairing and the Organisation one.

4.Which mini-challenge was your favorite?
I loved looking at the wordles and this will definitely be something I do on my own. But this is my daughters computer, so have to wait until I get mine back.

5.What has been your favorite thing about the read-a-thon?

I loved the twitter feed, although I didn't tweet much. I also enjoyed just taking the time out to read.


6.Are you satisfied with how much reading you got done? Did you do more than you expected? Less?

I actually read more than I expected mainly because I got more time to read than I expected. With my daughter spending time away unexpectedly I was uninterrupted.

7.What did you think of the updates? Too close together? Didn't like the time limit?

I liked that they were 2 hours apart, gave you time to get reading inbetween. I understood them to be voluntary unless you wanted to win that prize and so I chose to do 4 hourly updates. The reason I did this is I know I am a computer addict and tend to get stuck here, so didnt want to be on the computer too much. What I did do is to check the site on my phone every 2 hours then if there was a challenge that I really wanted to take part in I would have. I think also that having regular updates means that you fit in with every bodys schedule. Those that are ready for a break can stop, those that aren't can carry on. As far as the time limit goes I think 2 hours is fine, especially for those that only require you to answer a question. Maybe it could be extended to 4 hours for those like the writing one, the puzzle and the wordle that require a little bit more.

8.If you could change one thing about the read-a-thon, what would it be?

As I said in my previous post one of my problems was the time difference. But, obviously that will never satisfy everybody and has to fit in with the host! Where I did have a big advantage was that it only started at 4pm for me so I didnt have a problem with work. I wouldn't change anything actually I thought it was well planned and run. I would make sure I had a few more drinks at home and more comfortable reading places. I got a bit tired of the same places and it was rainy so I couldnt go outside. Also, I would have a few childrens books (long ones obviously) available. I did read one and it really broke the intenseness of the reading.

9.Would you participate in another read-a-thon hosted by Squeaky Books? Why or why not?
Yes I would I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

10.Any last comments on the read-a-thon?

Nope, they are sprinkled above.

Thanks for a really great 36 hours.








 

1 comment:

Julie said...

That's so funny! It IS easier to stay up reading great books than studying! You did GREAT! All of your books look fabulous!