Monday 7 July 2008

Lovely day, but I must be mad

Brenda has been nagging me ages to go for a picnic again, so today I decided to take her to the Krantzkloof Nature Reserve, which is about 45 minutes from here. I haven't been for years, and Brenda has never been, so it was all new. We started out at a view spot, where Bernda suddenly decided she was scared of heights! This was news to me, as she has never shown signs of this, so I was not allowed to go within 50 metres of the edge, so didnt get to see the Gorge properly from there. Then we went down to the carpark and started our walk. Here is Brenda at the bridge at the start of the walk.
Being very unfit I chose the shortest walk, thinking it would be the easiest - bad move!!!!! It was supposed to take 45 minutes, but took us just over 2 hours. The walking part probably was about 45 minutes, but there were 4 or 5 vertical climbs during that time.
This is one of the milder slopes where I could actually take a moment to take a photo!


Brenda at the waterfall, the picture above shows what we had to climb over.

At last, back to solid earth!


Brenda still found energy for climbing trees at the end of it!

I am off to bed and not sure if I will get up tomorrow or not!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baw ah, kasagad sa imo maghimo blog. Nalingaw gd ko basa.

dddeeebbbzzz said...

What a beautiful place for a picnic! The walk does sound rather strenuous - I don't even think I'd have made it in two hours! The waterfall is stunning!

Stacey and Dewey said...

What a beautiful place to be!! The pictures are stunning, I'm sure the waterfall was even prettier in "real life". I feel your pain on the hike. We took one last year with a big group of people, I was literally the last person to arrive at the end. (and that includes others carrying kids on their back) :)
Have a great week!
Stacey

Becca said...

Bless your heart. My husband and I are hikers - Red River Gorge is our favorite place. Stay in bed and read a good book tomorrow!

Peace and Hugs,
Becca

voodoo vixen said...

From the photos it looks like it was worth the effort - just have a relaxing couple of days to make up for it!! ;)